Yesterday I found my self in a familiar place. Adri has had a friend over for a few days. Things have been going very smoothly for the most part. I as much as I love this young woman, I find God challenges me in regards to her. You know when the same issue keeps coming up and you go around the same ol’e mountain hoping you will find victory in how you deal with loved ones. Really things have been great.
The kids were having a great day, they cooked cupcakes and muffins, they dressed up to played office as they instant messaged each other on the computer while Jon was their messenger boy for what ever the girls dictated to him. He was in his glory just to be allowed to be with them.
As the day began to end Adri’s friend logged onto her Myspace account and my red horns popped out. I have talked to Adri and I made it clear that she will not have a Myspace account because of the access to questionable people. In the past I have made this know to her friends as well. I have a rule that there is no instant messaging to guys as I don’t feel the girls are old enough to discern what is safe and what is not. What is acceptable language and the courage to stay way from that can harm them.
Well they weren’t really doing anything wrong, maybe gossip about another friend but then I caught a photo of a man with no shirt on and you could see his groin area. What upset me most is that she will communicate with these strangers and not think anything about it. In side of me I wanted to blow, but I didn’t. I waited for a bit trying to figure out what to do, I didn’t like where it was going, but I also didn’t want to offend her. Then suddenly it popped out… “I don’t like myspace, you know the rules, its not a good place and Adri’s not allowed. It’s a bad influence. I wish I wouldn’t keep being put into this same place where I have to say something, please consider my rules.” Inside my heart was raging with confusion and I could see both the girls dying inside as I reprimanded them. I then told them to get off the computers, it was late.
I always feel so terrible when I have to reprimand the kids and especially one that is not my own, however she calls me mom. I did some praying and was very honest with God. I don’t know how to handle these situations. I reviewed my behavior and found I did, well OK. Better than previous occasions. I felt I did it in mostly love but was very direct and to the point.
Then as usual I woke up about 2:00 and low and behold, God was talking to me. He told me in the morning to sit down with the girls and explain that there is things in this world that will draw you away from God and anything that makes you feel like you need to hide and draws you from God will lead you into troubled times. If we set our minds to loving God with all our heart, mind and soul, developing a regular dialog with Him we learn who He is and what He says is best for us. He promises if we place Him first in all things, He will give us the desires of our heart. It’s really that easy. I no longer want to go find my life, my love etc. I know if I grow my relationship and dependence on God and do as He asks everything I ever wanted and didn’t know I wanted, He promises to give to me.
I pray that as I talk with the kids in the morning as God spoke to me, that I will have the right words and they the kids can receive them as God intends them to hear them. In Jesus name, Amen
Through my daily walk with Him.. there are twists and turns... challenges... most unexpected... but with faith they will have awesome outcomes.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Disipling Children and their Friends - VERY CHALLENGING!
Posted by Lenar at 3:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment